Visits and Workshops
As an Early Years Teacher I understand the value and importance of embedding a love of books, reading and storytime. As and author and publisher I love sharing my stories and what I do. I offer half day sessions, £150 and full day sessions, £250.
What to expect from my story telling sessions:
- An introduction to kamishibai and the history behind it.
- A reading of one of my kamishibai stories – The Gingerbread Man, Daphne and Stan or The Ugly Duckling.
- Oral storytelling of a traditional Japanese story
- For younger groups I follow up with some rhymes and a song.
- For older groups I introduce some basic Japanese culture and language
Each class visited gets a copy of our Planning Ideas Pack which is full of activities linked to the story.
You have the opportunity to buy your own copy of my kamishibai with a 10% discount (valid for 6 months after the session).
Meet the Author Session for local settings.
I offer a 40 minute session for educational settings in and around Bedfordshire. This 40 minute session is £60.
What to expect from my Meet the Author session:
- An introduction to kamishibai and how I came to be an author and kamishibai publisher.
- A reading of one of my Kamishibai stories – The Gingerbread Man, Daphne and Stan or The Ugly Duckling.
- The chance to ask me questions about being an author.
Teacher Workshop (New!)
I offer an hour and a half long workshop for a maximum of 20 (schools can come together to share this experience) £120. Help ensure your team are ready for the Education Inspection Framework and that staff are experts in supporting children to enjoy books, rhymes, poems and songs.
Make your own workshop. Chose two options from:
- Change your storytime – I share tips and techniques that I have perfected after 27 years in early years.
- Storytime not working? I can help you look at your setting and make changes to enhance story time.
- Working with parents – Ideas and programmes to help you make parents as partners.
- Kamishibai in the classroom – How to get the best out of using kamishibai.
- Making resources to aid your story telling experience.
- Making books to encourage reading for pleasure.
- Engaging EAL and SEND children
- Writing – ideas to encourage writing for pleasure.
These sessions can be tailored to suit your needs and are ideal for twilight teacher training sessions.
Patron of Reading
I am available as a Patron of Reading in Bedfordshire and surrounding areas.
What is a Patron of Reading? https://www.patronofreading.co.uk/
‘A Patron of Reading is a school’s special children’s author, poet, storyteller or illustrator. The school and their patron develop a relationship over a period of time. Everything the patron does is related to helping encourage and develop a reading for pleasureculture in the school: book quizzes, blogs, book recommendations, discussions, plays, poetry bashes, blogs, book trailers and visits. The possibilities are virtually endless.’
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how we can work together to bring the benefits of the Patron of Reading scheme to your school.
If you require a story telling session for a wedding, a children’s party or similar event, please email email@example.com.
- Public Liability Insurance
- Enhanced DBS certificate